Caring For Residents With Dementia & Associated Behavioural Symptoms
This one day course (NMBI approved) is a really valuable overview of dementia- its’ symptoms and associated behaviours.
It advises staff on how they can improve the care that they deliver by helping them to understand dementia, its’ signs, symptoms and associated behaviours. We examine what behaviour is communicating and how staff should handle behaviours. We address how staff can develop positive behaviour support plans which should reduce or eliminate the need for restrictive practices. It also focuses on concepts such as person-centredness, knowing the person and strategies to maintain quality of life.
- Overview of Dementia- causes, main types, stages etc.
- Understanding the effects of dementia.
- The experience of having dementia- what it is like for the resident?
- Verbal & Non-verbal communicating with people who have dementia.
- Interpreting behaviours to identify needs- what is behaviour communicating?
- Associated behaviours/ symptoms and coping with these in a nursing home setting- positive behaviour supports & plans.
- Person Centred Care made simple.
- Ensuring the delivery of quality care that helps maintain quality of life.
- Reducing or eliminating the need for restrictive practices.