Dementia & Associated Behavioural Symptoms Workshop
This half day course (NMBI approved) is a shortened version of the dementia course providing an overview of dementia but focusing on behavioural symptoms in particular. It provides staff with the information they need to understand dementia and how its’ symptoms manifest themselves through behaviours.
- Overview of Dementia- causes, main types, stages etc.
- Understanding the effects of dementia.
- The experience of having dementia- what it is like for the resident?
- Verbal & Non-verbal communicating with people who have dementia.
- Interpreting behaviours to identify needs – what is behaviour communicating? .
- Associated behaviours/ symptoms and coping with these in a nursing home setting -positive behaviour supports & plans.
- Reducing or eliminating the need for restrictive practices.