People Moving and Handling
This one day course trains employees in the theory and practical aspects of moving and handling patients. This course is interactive with participants practicing the techniques of manual and patient handling.
This course is delivered in accordance with the Safety Health and Welfare Act, 2005 (& subsequent amendments) that apply to moving and handling in the workplace. This course adheres to the Health & Safety Authority’s guidelines to relating to competent manual handling.
- Lift and handle patients and loads in a safer manner.
- Understand the limitations of the spine and muscular system
- Assess the relative safety or danger of manual handling task
This course combines theory with ‘hands-on’ practical work.
Course Content – Theoretical Training
- Dangers of careless and unskilled methods
- Principles of levers and laws of motion
- Anatomy of the spine and muscular system
- How the body is harmed through incorrect handling techniques
- Importance of physical fitness
- Personal Protective equipment
- How to handle loads safely
- Practice in safe handling of loads
- Lifting to and from ground level
- Lifting to and from a height
- Lifting bags/sacks or other loads appropriate to the workplace
- Safer People moving techniques
- Safe use of Hoists and Moving Aids.