Preventing and Responding to Elder Abuse
This half day workshop is aimed at those working with older people in residential/ hospital/ community care settings.
- To promote and sustain a holistic approach to protection of the vulnerable adult.
- To ensure proper procedures for reporting suspicions or complaints of abuse.
- To raise awareness for all those who work with older people.
At the conclusion of this course participants will:
- Understand what abuse is and how it is defined.
- Understand how and by whom abuse can take place
- Be able to identify factors and situations (including work practices) which can lead to elder abuse
- Exploration of the different types of abuse and recognise the signs of abuse.
- Reflect upon how attitudes and behaviours influence the care environment.
- Explore guidelines and reporting procedures in following best practice.
- Be aware of HIQA Standards and Specific Requirements of Legislation.
- Documentation e.g. Incident Report.