Restrictive Practice / Restraint Awareness Training
This NMBI approved half-day course is aimed at Healthcare professionals/ employees. Whilst a basic definition of restraint might be ‘restricting movement’ or ‘restricting liberty’, many care interventions unintentionally restrict the movement of people. Some interventions can be viewed at providing protection for residents. This program encourages participants to reflect on interventions that could be seen as restraining residents if viewed from a resident’s perspective.
- Understanding the types and effects of restrictive practices & restraints
- Protection V’s Abuse- balancing risks and rights
- Assessment and Consent when using Restraint- Resident Inclusion
- Managing Restraints – keeping the intervention person-centered
- Alternatives & Creative Ways to avoid Physical Restraint
- Policies & Standards
- Most appropriate and safe use of Physical Restraint
- Most appropriate and safe use of Chemical Restraint
- Evaluating Restraint Policy and Care Plans
- Eliminating/ Reducing the need for restrictive practices.